What is a the usage scenario?
A vector has a given direction and magnitude(length). All that is needed is a start and end point i.e. its position in space(in 3D perspective) or plane(in 2D perspective).
A collection of multiple vectors turns it out to become designs like designing a t-shirt, a unicorn or any kind of design that can be imagined.
Simple uses of a Vector Graphic Editor –
- Logos – Illustrator is always the first choice even though photoshop also has its place in logo designing.
- T Shirts – This too can be done using illustrator
- Business Cards – The multiple artboards feature on Illustrator now means you don’t need multiple files for each name.
What’s the difference in software?
While comparing graphic’s editors, we have to take into consideration the range of file formats supported. If the image is stored in the format of a normal bitmap then its called a bitmap editor. When it is saved in the format of a vector its called a vector editor(eg. Illustrator). Converting a vector to bitmap is quite simple but the other way around is a whole different ball game.
- Adobe Illustrator – Illustrator is part of Creative Cloud, so you can access all your assets, right inside the app. Your brushes, shapes, colours, character styles, and Adobe Typekit fonts are connected across your desktop and mobile devices. It’s everything you need to turn inspiration into beautiful artwork — anywhere. This is how adobe describes it. As it’s price tag, if bought individually it can be classified as an expensive one. But when taken in as a subscription it comes out to be quite cheaper and to be fair with its performance and the fact that it is now the best editor in the market today its price tag stands out to be quite fair.
- CorelDraw 2018 – The closest to illustrator is CorelDraw. Released in 1989, it dominated the vector graphics market. Meant of windows, its available for USD 299 on Amazon. The way Corel Describes it : CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite 2018 is a leading graphic design software enjoyed by millions of professionals, small business owners, and design enthusiasts worldwide. It offers a seamless design experience for graphics, layout, illustration, photo editing, tracing, web images, print projects, art, typography, and more. Design with confidence and achieve stunning results.
- Xara Designer Pro X10 – This one is what you need if you combined all the adobe graphic designers. This turns out to be a fast program. The user interface has certain very intuitive characteristics, for example, if you click on most tools, the info bar will automatically show you the description of the tool. It can be bought through a perpetual license of $299.
- Affinity Designer – Afters years of development, Affinity designer was finally released in July 2014. It’s a high end product. As the developer(serif) describes it to be, Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available. Built from the ground up over a five-year period, every feature, tool, panel and function has been developed with the needs of creative professionals at its core. With continuous innovation and development, the result is a ground-breaking application that will revolutionise how you work.
- Sketch 3 – It’s a cheaper pick when compared to its competitors being priced at $100. Sketch is a design toolkit built to help you create your best work — from your earliest ideas, through to final artwork
Open Source Software
- Apache OpenOffice DRAW
Out of all these InkSpace turns out to be the best one.
The reasons being –
- Its Free
- Its open source. New features keep on adding and it’s constantly evolving, Any user that experiences a bug can report it to get universal help from the entire InkSpace community.
- It’s comparable to almost all of the Illustrator’s features.
- Its more user-friendly than Illustrator in most cases.
- Active User Support.
- Features that Inkspace has and illustrator doesn’t.
- Edit SVG Source Directly
- Clones, tiled clines, edit clone on canvas.
- Keys to move/rotate/scale by screen pixels.
- Shapes as objects.
- Edit gradients with handled on canvas.
- One-click paint bucket fill.
- Colour painting over objects.